Obesity and Diabetes
Did you know?
- It is estimated that 1 in 5 adults in the UK are overweight and about 15 in
every 100 are obese. The numbers have trebled in the past 20 years.
- Lack of physical activity and poor diet are the key to rising rates of
- High blood pressure and diabetes occurs three times as often in overweight
people than among those with normal body weight
- Obesity is associated with higher levels of blood cholesterol.
- Being overweight increase one's risk of CHD, hypertension and type 2
diabetes in later life, not to mention osteoarthritis.
- Childhood obesity is on the increase in England.
Dr Nishan Wijenaike, Consultant Physician
West Suffolk Hospital Diabetes Service.