Key to numbers on the diagrams:
1. Length - Make sure there is room for your toes to move. 1.5 to 2cm (1/4 to 3/4 inch) space when standing is about right.
2. Width - Have space for your toes to lie flat when you stand. Do no let your little toe rub.
3. Heel fit - A snug fit here is best. The foot should not move up and down at the back.
4. Fastening - THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT - The shoe must have one. This will stop the foot sliding forward and keep the shoe on. Lace up, buckle or velco straps should fasten over the instep.
5. Depth - The shoe upper material must not rest on the toes. You should not be able to see the outline of any of the toes, nor should the leather become deformed by the toes. If this happens, the shoe is not deep enough.
6. Heel height - No higher and 3cm (1.5 inches) and wider the better.
IF YOU CANNOT GET SHOES THAT MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS YOU MAY BE ASSESSED FOR BESPOKE FOOTWARE. SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR OR PODIATRIST FOR REFERRAL.